Home News Information Downloads FAQ

Peer Review CET Meeting : 10th April 2018
Our next CET event will take place at the usual venue of The Holmfield Eating Inn on Tuesday 10th April starting promptly at 6.30pm. It will be a Peer Discussion event entitled Is Everyone Comfortable? and will be presented by Alcon. The event code will be C-52977 and it will be worth 3 Peer Review CET points. There will be a total of 20 places available comprising of two tables of ten with an Alcon facilitator on each table. Light refreshments will be available beforehand from 6.00pm.

If you would like to attend, please email your details and GOC number to cet@wakefieldoptometry.org.uk so that we can prepare the CET paperwork and order appropriate refreshments.
(26th March 2018)


AGM Date
This years Annual General Meeting will be a little later this year on the 5th June. The evening will, as usual, contain a CET event but the exact details of this are still to be confirmed.
(24th March 2018)

CET meeting : 20th February 2018
Our main guest will be Polly Dickerson who is an Ophthalmology Registrar and Leadership Fellow in Education and Simulation for Ophthalmology. Her lecture will be entitled Who, What, When, Where, How?! and will cover the problems all of us face in optometric practice when referring our patients onwards for further assessment and management. The lecture will be an interactive journey through cases that we will be able to discuss so that we can streamline our referrals to ensure that we balance the best care for our patients with providing the recipeint with relevant and concise information. Polly Dickerson coordinates the undergraduate ophthalmology teaching for The University of Leeds Medical school. With a special interest in Ophthalmology Education she is a very well recognised and engaging speaker in this subject area.   (2nd February 2018)

Lost Property
A piece of lost property was found under a chair after the last CET meeting on the 12th September. It consists of an orange Academic Diary 2017/18 and a blue biro. If the owner would like to have them back could they send an email to info@wakefieldoptometry.org.uk and we'll do our best to reunite you!

LOC Levy To Be Reduced
Following an LOC committee meeting on the 29th August it has been decided to reduce the LOC levy which is applied to all practices in the Wakefield area. The current levy stands at 1% which is then split with 0.5% transferred to the LOC Support Unit and 0.5% going to Wakefield LOC. From October 2017 the LOC percentage will be reduced to 0.1% making a new total deduction of 0.6%. The levy is applied to the amount claimed by each practice for NHS sight tests and the LOC portion is used to support LOC activities such as CET meetings and attending official meetings.

Wakefield LOC Treasurer Mark Shelton said, "It was important to ensure that the LOC had sufficient funds to carry out its duties but had an obligation to minimise costs to local practices". It is anticipated that the new reduced rate will be effective until April 2018 but will be extended further if this is possible.
(29th August 2017)

Overdue PCSE payments start arriving
After the LOC made a formal complaint regarding the non payment of GOS1 fees from June, we are pleased to say many payments were made the following day. For some this was a payment in full but some practices still have a few items outstanding but they have been informed these will be paid in a few days.
If practices should encounter this problem again then practices should let the LOC know so that greater pressure can be brought to bear.
(24th August 2017)

OHT Monitoring to run from 1st September
Ocular Hypertension Monitoring is the latest scheme to be added to the Wakefield Enhanced Services and is to be rolled out on the 1st September. Those practices involved in providing enhanced services should start receiving information and software updates from Wakefield CCG very shortly. Setting up the scheme has proved quite complex and practices are asked to be patient in the early weeks as there are bound to be teething troubles.

Once up and running though, the scheme will not only provide practices the opportunity to make greater use of their clinical skills but will will take a large amount of strain off the overstretched glaucoma department at Mid Yorkshire Hospitals.
(12th August 2017)